Board Member for Scotland
This appointment is closed and is displayed for reference only.
Remuneration:£12,425 per annum
Location:Scotland, London and travel across Great Britain
Closing date:08 November 2019 at midday
Could you be Transport Focus’s next Board Member?
The Scottish Government is seeking to appoint a new member to the Transport Focus Board to ensure the interests of Scottish transport users are fully taken into account in our policy making and advocacy.
You will be expected to work in partnership with staff and key stakeholders across Scotland, and other parts of the UK. This is likely to involve some travel. You will help ensure that the voice of the transport user is not only heard but understood and acted upon by those in positions of influence.
This is a role for a proactive person with the capacity to identify the need for, and to promote, transformational change, both within Transport Focus across the wider stakeholder community.
Your role will be to use your skills and personal experience to make a difference for transport users. Specifically, you will:
- Represent the current and developing interests of all transport users on the Board,
- Help ensure our work represents good value for money
- Contribute fully to the current and longer term strategy of the whole organisation, especially but not limited to matters in Scotland; this may mean an innovative and/or cross-cutting approach to work planning and service delivery
- Lead/participate in work streams as discussed and agreed with the Chair
- Represent the organisation on other bodies
- Chair or speak at public meetings and/or conferences
- Working collectively and collaboratively with other board colleagues, promote good governance and sound decision making across the organisation.
- Expect to be nominated to at least one committee, or subsidiary, of the board
We would like to hear from candidates who are regular users of all types of passenger transport, and who can demonstrate in their application, and at interview, the following essential criteria:
(a) Strategic thinking skills that can be applied to the transport network and its users;
(b) A clear understanding of the issues facing transport users;
(c) Use your existing networks and be able to build credible, constructive relationships with new stakeholders to maximise the potential of representing Transport Focus and its work;
(d) A demonstrable understanding of the Scottish political environment and its interface with the transport sector;
(e) The ability to work constructively as part of a Board (or similar) team.
In addition to the above, candidates should also be able demonstrate in their application, and at interview, knowledge of or skills in one or more of the following areas:
- Consumer affairs and, in particular, campaigning
- Customer facing businesses
- Transport industry structure
- Regulatory affairs
- Media and/or public relations issues and in particular new/social media
- Scottish or local Government
- The interface between road transport and passenger transport
The successful candidate will be paid £12,425 per annum based on an expected average of four days commitment a month, and will be paid monthly. Pay is subject to statutory deductions and is paid via payroll. The appointment is not pensionable.
You must be a regular transport user and a UK taxpayer, to be eligible for this appointment. References will be taken up, and other enquiries into your suitability for this role may be made.
The appointment is likely to be offered for four years, which may be renewed, subject to satisfactory performance, although there is no presumption of reappointment.
Visit www.transportfocus.org.uk/about/careers for the full information pack and other documents. This will ask you to:
- provide a covering letter setting out why you are interested in the role and clearly setting out how you meet the criteria. This letter (which may be in email format) should be a maximum of the equivalent of two pages of A4
- provide an up- to-date and comprehensive curriculum vitae (please also indicate your preferred salutation - Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms, forename etc.).
- complete and attach the public appointemnts monitoring form A.
- complete and attach the disclosure form B
If you have any queries on how to apply, or require further information, please contact our recruitment centre at email@example.com